Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Epic Eurotrip--Chapter 10: Post Stamps (Liechtenstein--Vaduz)

before going on this trip, I didn't even know this country existed, let along how to spell it. In this trip, we went to 3 of the smallest countries: Liechtenstein (4th smallest), Monaco (2nd smallest), and Vatican City (1st smallest). The 3rd smallest is Nauru. We got to the capital, Vaduz, at around 9:30 am, so not many stores were open. Only staying here for an hour didn't help, either. Therefore, there's not much to tell.

Still, this country is known for its stamps and mail delivering history. They have a museum showing all(?) post stamps ever created. They also have a history of old European mail delivery.

Vaduz Castle
One of the tourist attraction (if you call that an attraction) is the Vaduz Schloss (Vaduz castle), but we didn't go up (again, what a disappointment.) See, what I don't understand about small country is that there seems no point of forming a country when you can't even support yourself. I mean, they could support themselves, but they rely largely on countries like Germany. Later when we went to Monaco, it's the same thing. They rely on France for almost everything. The only things they have there are casinos, Grand Prix, and beaches (with naked people.) AND it's inside France!! I just don't see the point of having an independent country when the area is THIS small (less than 500 acres, Central Park in NYC has ~840 acres, for your reference). Well, I guess there must be a reason. I just don't get it.

Chinese takeout
Oh, even for a small country like this, there are still Chinese people!! This is the first thing I saw when we entered the plaza. The second one would be a souvenir shop next to it. Chinese can live everywhere!!! For a small country like this, there's no need for Chinatown. A takeout place like this is good enough......

I really can't think of anything to tell you guys for this country......I guess being surrounded by Alps doesn't really make it more fun.

City Hall
Rathus. It doesn't even have an English wiki......
Next stop: Innsbruck, Austria

No comments:

Post a Comment