if you are too lazy, then just read the summary below.
basically, there was a party themed "Compton Cookout" and pretty much made fun of many African American (I'm just gonna use "black" from now on so don't get offended....gosh this situation really makes me cautious of using words.....) stereotypes. The news soon broke out into public and the group and UCSD both got criticized for being racist. In fact, the Black Student Union already tagged UCSD as a racist campus because the office funded the Student-Run TV that had people defending the party.
The Black Student Union filed a long list of demands that requires UCSD to giver more opportunity to black students. Knowing that there are only less than 2% of black students going to SD, this would seem fair to them.
And not too long ago, a report shows a noose was found in the library.
Okay, enough stories. So why am I posting this?
First, I have to say this. I do think racism is totally wrong, and it will simply cover our eyes from seeing the reality. The ethnicity doesn't really affect how good a person can be. It may affect people's actions and thought process, but it doesn't make a person a complete asshole or idiot or something like that. Please keep that in mind, and then read on.
It's true that I'm against racism, but we do have to know that it's still around whether we like it or not. Let's be honest with each other. We all have stereotypes of other races, and sometimes we can even see those stereotypes on TV. So why are we freaking out this time?
I'm not trying to defend the group who hosted the party or Koala who defended the group. In fact, I want Koala gone. I do think it will make the world less offensive. However, i do think that whoever thought of this theme wasn't intentionally trying to bash or hurt black people. It's like a joke that crossed the line. That's all. It's good to try to fight for equality for all races, and it's good to speak out for minorities, but it's not good when it gets out of control. Right now, things are out of control.
I read through the demand list, and my only reaction was "do you really think it's going to work? REALLY?!" I have no problem for people who try to fight for their rights and opportunities, but we still have to logical about things like this. It's not like we can get whatever we want if someone or something is discriminating us. California government is still broke, and UCSD is still not going to grant any privilege besides the existing ones.
If you read the report about the noose, you'll find tons of responses saying how this is threatening the already outnumbered black community in UCSD. To me, it's more like a person's stupid idea trying to get these responses so he can laugh at it. Messed up it is, outrageous it shouldn't be. If this event happens anytime other than this, it would be seen only as a joke. However, the cookout incident totally amplifies the effect of this noose. Is it really that significant? I don't think so. It's disturbing though.
Again, I'm not saying having parties like this is right. I'm just saying that we should not take this more seriously as we need to. We all need to chill out and move on with our lives. It's not the end of world.
No comments:
Post a Comment